GOHABS.com Message Board

Your source for Canadiens topics
 Arcade •  FAQ •  Search •  Register •  Login 
It is currently Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:18 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Welcome
Welcome to <strong>GOHABS.com Message Board</strong>.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, <a href="/profile.php?mode=register">join our community today</a>!

Post subject: Backstrom tests positive for banned substance!
PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 4:22 pm 

Interesting!

According to Nicholas, this was the result of his allergy medication.

...because mid-February is renowned for having the worst allergies! :lol:

Post subject: Re: Backstrom tests positive for banned substance!
PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:36 am 

With Jose Theodore, it was a hair treatment. They need to come up with better material.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:56 pm 

Nil d wrote:
With Jose Theodore, it was a hair treatment. They need to come up with better material.

Theodore actually tested positive for finasteride, the drug in Propecia, an extremely common hair pill. It's also the drug used to shrink enlarged prostates and to help men complete sex changes into women (the desired effect determines the dosage). It's perfectly legal in the NHL to take it so Theodore was surprised that it was against the rules in the Olympics. Apparently the drug can help mask steroids as it removes excess testosterone from the blood.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:33 pm 
Site Admin

And-o wrote:
Interesting!

According to Nicholas, this was the result of his allergy medication.

...because mid-February is renowned for having the worst allergies! :lol:

We'll maybe this can explain.
My wife loves dogs but she allergic to them. That doesn't stop her with playing with them.
Maybe, just maybe, Backstrom came too close to some of the stranded dogs in Sochi, that he too suffers from dog allergies.

:D

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 2:48 am 

From what I've read, he was taking Sudafed, another perfectly common drug legal in the NHL. I've taken it a half dozen times before boxing matches when I've had even so much as a sniffle of a cold.

Supposedly it can have stimulant effects when you overdose, but the Olympics disallows even common cold dosages.

We would need to know the quantity in his system to know if it were cold/allergy dosages or doping dosages.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 1:06 am 

i was just going through old post and found this. i didnt know u were a boxer th.. i was in martial arts for 13 and taught for 3 . my master never allowed any type of chemical remedy. none.. I actually ripped every tendon in my foot throwing a reverse rounder to his master (which he caught while i was in mid air) i even had to finish my program/test on one leg. then still had to come to class and parcipitate on one leg lol no drugs allowed. no pain killers allowed . and he knew . he would do a few things to find out if u were legit. he even threw a few students out with injuries because he knew they were drugging it

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 2:08 pm 

I haven't boxed in years. I did Muay Thai for a long time but I couldn't find a good coach when I went away for university, so I switched to boxing. In Muay Thai, it was similar. No pain killers, no alcohol, and no *** (not even solo) for months before a fight. Cold medicine to clear the sinuses and a menthol type oil to put on the skin for muscle pain (similar to Tiger Balm) were allowed for him. It was imported directly from Thailand, only that writing on it, and he just called it Muay Thai liniment. Every Thai boxing fight night smelled of the stuff.

I took those habits to boxing, but the menthol wasn't allowed because they were afraid it would end up on the gloves, even by accident.

I never took enough Sudafed to get the performance enhancing benefits, but since my jaw had to be tight over the mouth guard, I needed it to breathe if I had a cold during a fight (which I did during a major tournament).